So as many of you have already heard Ryan was diagnosed with Kawasaki Disease this week. It is a fairly rare disease but for as far as childhood diseases go not to awful. We took him to the ER last Sunday because the glands in the back of his neck were so swollen that he couldn't move his neck and he had fairly high fever. They said one of his ears looked red and it was just an earache and sent us home with some amoxicillin. He was still pretty sick but okay as long as he had ibuprofen and Tylenol in him his fever stayed low enough and he was okay. By Tuesday I called the doctor again because his glands were still so swollen and it didn't look like the amoxicillin was doing any good, the nurse told me that sometimes it can take up to 72 hours so call Wednesday if it wasn't getting any better. So Wednesday afternoon I called and made an appointment and by the time we went in Ryan had really red eyes, a strawberry tongue which is a red and inflamed tongue, and a rash all over his back. The doctor did a blood test to rule out pretty much out all of the other things it could be and gave an early diagnosis of Kawasaki Disease, it is kind of a weird disease there is no test for it and they don't know what causes it. It isn't contagious but it can be fatal if it isn't caught early enough. It causes aneurysms in the coronary arteries which can lead to a heart attack. Anyway she told us one of the basic symptoms is 5 days of fever along with every other symptom that he was showing. Since we only had 4 days of fever at that point they sent us home with a new anti-biotic just in case it was something else and set an appt for Friday morning to check up and if he didn't get better they would admit him to start the treatment for the Kawasaki Disease. So we went home and got another call that night that said one of his labs came back with poor liver function so we needed to stop giving him Tylenol. So we sent him to bed with just ibuprofen in him and he woke up at about 2:30 with a temp of 107.4. So we dosed him up with more ibuprofen and put him in the tub and got his fever down to 103 ish. Needless to say the next morning we called the doctor and they brought him in for a few more test just to make sure that it wasn't anything else and then admitted him to the hospital. They did a base line echo cardiogram to see if it had affected his heart yet and they didn't find anything to worry too much about. They gave him high doses of aspirin and in IV with ivig in it. On Friday morning he was doing a lot better but they kept him an extra day just to make sure that he wasn't relapsing. His mouth was still super sore and his stomach hurt from the high doses of aspirin but his fever was down so he felt tons better. We brought him home this morning with orders for a low dose of aspirin for 2 months. So now we will just wait it out he will have another echo in 2 weeks with a specialist from Salt Lake being there and than another one in 2 months just to make sure there were no last effects. So for now we are going to just hope his temp doesn't go back up and hopefully we are free to go with just a good scare and none worse for the wear!
This is a pic of Ryan's rash it covered his whole body by the time they admitted him.

Ryan looking pretty miserable in the hospital with Simba (Simba was sick to so he came to the hospital with Ryan)

Ryan on Day 2 feeling tons better and telling me that he felt almost healthy
So there is the whole story as of now he did have a slight temp after we came home so we are watching that carefully hoping he doesn't need to go back in for another batch! I just wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and messages of support!!!
Also thanks to my parents and Chris's parents for taking Olivia for us!


18 comments:
Oh man! You guys have definitely had quite the week! I'm glad that Ryan is feeling better and hope that he doesn't have any long lasting effects from this! Around Thanksgiving last year, Micah got the strawberry tongue and rash all over his body...but it was just scarlet fever...or group A strep, which is strep throat...i was surprised at that, because I didn't know that strep and scarlet fever were one in the same...but i guess they are...
Good luck in the coming days and weeks!!
oh poor little guy!! Im so glad he seems to be doing better- what a freaky thing!
lots of prayers for you guys from us, hugs and kisses to little Ryan and to his family!
I'm glad he's doing better sorry that is such a ulcer causing thing to have to bring your child to the hostpital your in our prayers thanks for the update
I'm so glad that he's doing better. Sounds like everything was done by the book & you guys caught it super-early... that's great.
We are so glad that things are working out. It is so scary to have things happen that we cannot control. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if you need anything!
Wow that is crazy! Glad to hear he is doing better.
Janelle,
I am glad that he is doing better-what a scary thing to go through though. Best of luck for the upcoming weeks!
I hope you and Chris are holding up okay. That sounds very stressful, but thank goodness it wasn't worse. I hope everything calms down soon.
Ooh, so scary. I am glad he is doing better. All of you will be in our prayers.
Dangit. No fun at all. I'm so glad things are turning out so well, though. I hope by the time you read my comment, he's back to his normal, sunny self, with no heart troubles at all :) :) love you guys!
How scarry, I'm sorry you have had to go through that and I hope that he can recover well.
I'm so glad he is feeling better!! That is so scary it's so hard being the mom and watching them be in so much pain and not being able to take it away!! You guys are good parents for catching it ealy!!
Poor little guy. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family. I hope everything goes well at the heart doctor. Love ya.
It's so scary when your kids are sick! I'm glad he's feeling better. I hope it stays that way!!! All of you get some extra sleep to make up for all the stress.
And he missed Olivia, and she missed him too. She did well except at night when she would start to tear up, "me mommy, me mommy." But she understood. The funny things was I got her a coloring book and went to look for the crayons. She told me, "No, I eat crayons."
Wow, not fun and how scary. I have never heard of that before. Wish you the best and hope that he continues to get better and better.
That doesn't sound like any fun. hope all goes ok at the next appt.
I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go through all that! What a bummer! I'm glad to know that he's doing better and we will keep him in our prayers! I'll try and give you a call this week! Sorry I missed you the other day. Lots of love
Post a Comment